Sunday 25 July 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise

I was determined to have a 'Do Nothing' weekend since myself and the children have been 'Doing Something' nearly every day for the past few weeks (or so it seems), but I wound up baking bread, whipping up a chocolate cake from scratch, taking the children to a paddling pool/playground, doing a science experiment with kiddo's, meeting up with friends for a forest/seaside romp, AND I made mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.....from scratch.....oh, and I made homemade pizza's too (whew!)
I make our mayo all the time for years now......it's so easy breazy to make and tastes SO MUCH better than that white junk in jars from the store (yes, even tastes better than BluePlate and Hellmans).

I used a new recipe for ketchup today, so I'll update you on that after it's had time to meld and I can taste test in a few days.
I used a new recipe for the mustard as well, but that will take two or so weeks before I can taste test (too firey hot at first).

So, let me indulge you my homemade mayo recipe. Why? Because most of the recipes out there will tell you a lot of complicated instructions full of nonsense.  My recipe is DELICIOUS, and it's a no-nonsense easy recipe.  Here ya go.

Take 2 eggs (any eggs will do, though I find that when I use the fresh eggs we pick up from our local farm....where we can actually see the hens laying the eggs we take home!....tastes even better)
Get your Food Processor (or blender) set up
Crack both eggs in your processor/blender.  Don't separate, don't use just the yolks or whites...use the entire 2 eggs (how cool is that!)
yep, 'Oil' is spelled 'Url' thanks
to hubby's silly humour
Put in 1 Minced clove of garlic
Put in 1 capful of cider or white wine vinegar or lemon juice (not sure how much a capful is, but about 1 Tablespoon)
Put in 1 tsp of salt (I use sea salt..yum yum!)
Whiz all that up in the processor/blender then slowly start pouring in extra virgin olive oil in a steady thin stream whilst the processor/blender is still whizzing. Don't be too concerned about how thin a stream, just pour steadily. You will start to hear the 'mayo' thickening up.....I think you use about 1 cup and a bit more before you're done. The main thing is listen with your ear.....you'll hear the mayo reach that level of 'thickness' you prefer.  IF you stop and taste-test and find it a bit thin.....throw the whizzing button on again, and add more oil. You technically can use any oil...so possibly even experiment with your fave oil as well.
Once you're reached desired thickness....you're done.  Pop it in a glass jar in the fridge and try not to eat it all in one go.
You can also add mustard to the mayo as you whiz, which gives it a nice dressing type taste.
Experiment with flavours! Leave out the garlic if you don't like......add some spicy seasoning to spice it up. Regardless, you'll wonder why you never made your own mayo before.  And, over time, you'll pat yourself on the back for keeping glass jars out of landfills.
Stay tuned for the homemade ketchup and homemade mustard recipes...

No comments:

Post a Comment