Tuesday 2 August 2011

Fairies and Rainbows

My cherubs are sitting in the family room with me this evening, but they pay NO attention to me, because they are absorbed with the goody bags they got today at their cousins birthday party.  We all had such a fun filled 'Fairy' day.

The children and I volunteered to make some of the nibbles and games, which I post below in photo's.
I am also posting pics of the gifts we made for my niece.  Not only did we have lots of fun making everything, but it was time-well-spent together as a family.  I really enjoy spending time with my children 'creating'.


The table of Nibbles. We made the Flower Garden, Ladybirds,
Rep Capped Mushrooms and Snail Sandwiches
(went perfect for a Fairy Garden)
These were easy. Just slice cherry tomato in half, scoop out seeds,
put dab of cream cheese, then stick on a bit of cheese stick
Snail Sandwiches. Which are just cheese spread on tortilla, wrapped up
and sliced. Unroll a bit, stick on gherkin, then stab some toothpicks in for antenna)
Ladybird Apples!
slice apple in half, carve out 'wings' use chocolate spread or peanut butter for 'glue'
stick on sultana/raisin for spots
Stuck a red grape in for the 'head' and used toothpicks for antenna.
Cherry stems would have made better antenna but forgot to get cherries :(

Rainbow Marshmallow Flower Garden
We coated mini-mallows with coloured icing, stuck on sprinkles.
The melted chocolate on the plate was 'glue' so the  'flower pots'
wouldn't tip over. I added green dyed coconut for 'grass'

Indigo getting in to the spirit!
Zephyr ate way too many mallow-flowers
but he survived :)

Indigo and I made a 'Fairy Wand Ring Toss' game.
We glued paper flowers to the wands, each had a number that indicated how many
points you got. (wands found in 'party favour' section of store)
I made the 'rings' with pipe cleaners, beads and then felt 'petals' hot glued on. 
Here the children are on a 'Fairy Gem Treasure Hunt'.
We took a packet of acrylic gems (various shapes/colours/sizes) and
hid them throughout the garden
some hidden under leaves, some tossed about,
some stuck to trees (gems had sticky backs).  The kids LOVED this.
I bet they find hidden gems in their Grans garden for many years
(because we hid 100+ and stopped counting)
Then the children played with the gems afterwards.
Sticky backs helped the girls turn the gems in to 'earrings'

My fave picture of the day. Indigo helping her Gran to the festivities. 

Next, a game of 'Fairy Bubbles'. Play some fun music, children toss the Fairy Bubbles (balloons)
 in the air, batting them to-and-fro. When the music stops, they grab a bubble (balloon)
I had a handful of pipe cleaners behind my back that matched the balloon colours, so I pulled one out, and
whoever had that coloured balloon stepped out - and then they got to hold the pipe cleaners behind their back to pull
the next colour (no tears!). Eventually, only one child is left standing with their balloon - thus the 'winner'
but everyone had fun




Then there was an egg-and-spoon race.
Whilst these were plain eggs, I would next time decorate them to look
like Fairies.

Hubby joined in the race

My mum-in-law got this cake from the local 'Waitrose' store.
It was very very pretty (but way too sweet)
The candles were awesome though. called 'Angel Flames'
(the flames were all different colours)

One of our homemade gifts to my niece.
Hand stitched felt to look like 'houses'
 and then glued-to-matchboxes
these became Fairy Houses (with ribbons to wear as 'necklace')
Each house had it's own 'fairy' inside
The 'Orange' fairy

The Green Fairy

The Pink Fairy

The Green Fairy
The Red Fairy
It was too much fun making these fairy houses
We also painted an old 'Backgammon' board with Chalkboard paint
Indigo painted a 'Rainbow' frame.
I don't have a picture of the back (unfortunately) but we painted
with some fab folkart designs.
The Eraser is a plain white kitchen sponge I hot-glued some
purple felt to, then put a green 'P' for my nieces name.
We wrapped it with a gossamer bag of chalks in every rainbow colour. 
All-in-all was an incredible event, and I hope my niece enjoyed it too.  It was all smiles all day, if that is any indication :)

1 comment: