Thursday 28 July 2011

Science does not know its debt to imagination. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gracious me, I blinked and a month has passed me by. We've been busy, having fun. I'll catch up more soon, but in meantime, check out the fun we've been having.

Top of the list:  'Magic Potion Table'
I filled up empty jars, bottles, and bowls with coloured waters, bubbles, flour, sugar, baking soda, vinegar, coffee grinds, flower petals, dandelion fluff.....you name it, and stuck it on the OUTDOOR table.  Gave the children some 'Science Lab' goggles, and just let them get to it.
They had so much fun, and even discovered ON THEIR OWN (with no instructions from me or a book) the chemical reaction when you mix vinegar and baking soda.  Sure, we've done this before with our volcano experiment, but that was all planned out with mommy doing most the work. It was pure joy when I hear them 'GLEE' with excitement upon seeing their 'potions' foam up.
A little bit of this
A little of that
Mommy, I'm going to be a Scientist when I grow up
(her words, not mine!)
Unfortunately, they didn't manage to invent some magical potion to clean up the mess afterwards, but I was happy to do the cleaning.  (not) Surprisingly, they offered to clean up for me when they saw me get the water hose.
did I mention I gave them glitter too!


The sandbox filled with dirt from the garden then caught their eye, as did when I sprinkled a 'magical fairy road' in to the dirt with some silver glitter. My children proceeded to add on lots of other magical fairy land bits and bobs, and then entertained themselves (whilst I finished cleaning the science lab).





They ended the day with this beautiful flower-turned-blue (food colouring, test tube, white daisy)


I catch up again this weekend with a lovely 'Rainbow Treasure Hunt' (fascinating game that also encourages children to learn reading colour names), AND some 'Hot Rocks Painting' AND some Alphabet Rock Painting. All great fun that sneaks in learning too :)

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I love doing science with the kids! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love science experiments too! we seem to catch up on a lot of them during the summer when we're outdoors more. recently tried this one, but cannot get it to work! have used whole milk, food colouring, dish soap.....still not working. Any ideas? it looks so cool if we could get it to work!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6dZ6aWpF4

    (not sure if link shows up in comments, but can copy/paste in browser. or search 'Steve Spangler Color Changing Milk experiment')

    ReplyDelete