Sunday 9 October 2011

Clubbing

So, another reason I've been distracted of late, is due to kids clubs starting back up.  We spent the past year with only one weekly commitment of Badgers, which is sort of like Scouts or Brownies, but is all First Aid related activities associated with St. Johns Ambulance.  It's one of the few activities I found myself appreciating, because it's cheap! it's fun, it's education, and, it's accepting.  as home educators, we often find ourselves sticking out like a sore thumb in many club activities where most children know each other from school, and typically I find the adults nearly fear me because home educating is so foreign to them. But not at Goring Badgers. Yes, we are the only home educators in the group, but it rarely shows itself. My children have made friends with school children who come for play dates at our home and it's a nice feeling to see camaraderie.

We had tried moving over to Worthing Badgers for awhile so Indigo and Cypress could make a Ballet class as well, but that club was BORING, beyond words. Was very strict and more 'sit down with instructions' type activities; whereas, Goring is relaxed and room to run around. Surprisingly; however, the club leader manages to easily maintain a sense of order but she uses humour versus the authority method of Worthing Badgers.  We went back to Goring Badgers, and Ballet took a back seat. We may explore Ballet again one day, but, to be honest, I wasn't happy at all with that scene. Too much hairspray and I got a bit concerned when I noticed how incredibly skinny adult ballet dancers are. combined with a friend who started ballet very young and complains of what it's done to the womanly part of her body, mainly her hips not forming correctly.  I dunno if I'm over reacting, but my girls aren't fussing about missing out on ballet, so we enjoy Badgers for now.

Oh, and Gymnastics, and Musical Theatre, and Young Embroiders Guild. Somehow we wound up back in a busy weekly club schedule, but I'm enjoying it this time. Perhaps because my children set up this schedule for themselves, versus me setting up clubs for them.  The Gymnastics is fantastic this time around. We found a club that is truly hands on and focused on the actual sport, versus the previous Gym club we were signed up to in Lancing that was overcrowded (money money money!) and the club owner always had a sourpuss look and never said anything to you, other than handing out slips of paper with 'amount due' on them. The club owner we're in now is friendly, chatty and hands on involved.

Musical Theatre is just my girls, and is a mere walk through the trails and trees to get there, which I'll probably complain about now that it's winter. But, for now, weather is decent and it's fun listening to Indigo and Cypress sing all 'The King and I' songs. Zephyr wasn't even remotely interested.
Young Embroiders Guild is just once/month, and also the same walk through trails and trees. What I REALLY appreciate about this one is that it's a hall full of girls of all ages (again, Z not interested), and they are working towards productive goals because they love what they do. I'm glad Indigo and Cypress are being influenced to see teenagers spending a Saturday afternoon sewing and crafting, and showing off their hard work.

Well, there you have it. We're back to a busy schedule but it's not feeling chaotic at all, just productive and fun and healthy.  We spend most days at home together just chilling out, so that probably helps, and we still have time to meet up often with friends

I've already updated a mouthful here, so will save it for next post to chat about all the other fun and exciting Home Ed activities we're starting up; such as, Tide Pool Bingo, Autumn Scavenger Hunts, a twice/monthly HE Cooperative with exciting events I've planned (next Wednesday a 'Family History Workshop' with some fun crafts and a wacky game the kids will love).... Not to mention a 'Home Ed Matchbox Swap' club I started up. We just finished the first Swap themed box of Periodic Table I'll post up next week after our swap partners receive their boxes.

Ciao for Now!


No comments:

Post a Comment